July 8, 2008

Spearfishing



I've been at Wes Skile's place in High Springs, Florida since June 26th and I've been having a really great time so far.  My first three days were spent with Jill Heinerth working on my cavern and intro to cave diving courses.  I had met Jill at Beneath the Sea in New Jersey, but it was really nice to have an opportunity to learn from her and go diving with her.  She's an amazing explorer, photographer and diver; check out her web-page at intotheplanet.com and her blog on rebreathers and advanced diving at rebreatherpro.com.  She's a fantastic instructor, and I'm a little worried I might be hooked on cave diving after only a few short dives.
After having completed my NSS-CDS intro cave diver certification I headed up to Merrit's Mill Pond with Pete, Tom and Mark from Karst environmental.  They had been contracted to place a variety of sensors into caves and springs, and invited me to tag along.  Since then I've been hanging out with Wes, riding motorcycles, visiting Dive Rite, learning about photography and cooking.  On Sunday Wes, Wes' son Nate, Mark and I went spearfishing, another first for me.  We caught a lot of big fish and had an awesome time.
With Hurricane Bertha heading our way, we might take a few days this weekend to go surfing and hopefully after that do a little more cave diving and photography before I take off.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of fish are those with the big, open mouthes and how could you spear those cute reddish orange fish with the big eyes?

Anonymous said...

This is so cool, to read of all your adventures! Nice job. Seems you soon may grow gills, or fins...with all the time you are getting to spend in the water.